You should write a report of 3,000 (maximum) which provides a critical analysis of the corporate communications function of a (for-profit) organisation of your choice, drawing on appropriate communications theory. IT SHOULD NOT BE THE SAME ORGANISATION AS YOUR PRESENTATION. Please make sure that all sources are referenced.
The report should consist of four parts:
(a) a one-page executive summary of the findings: this is included in the word count but should not be more than one side of A4;
(b) a brief overview of the organisation and its communications functions, drawing attention to the major features that you will develop later;
(c) an analysis and evaluation of the communications of your chosen organisation, drawing on communications and/or marketing theory where appropriate;
(d) recommendations on how the organisation could improve its communications in the light of your research.
While it is for you to decide upon the content and structure of the report, you might feel it appropriate to include aspects such as:
– A brief overview of the organisation: its mission statement, goals, strategic objectives, etc.
– a communications audit or SWOT analysis of communications
– consistency of messages – or brand – conveyed across different media and extent to which communications are integrated
– communication and appropriateness of any sponsorship (if appropriate)
– communication of Corporate Social Responsibility programmes (if appropriate)
– barriers to successful communication and use of language; evidence of intercultural sensitivities (if appropriate)
– an evaluation of publications used for internal communications, marketing/PR (advertisements, leaflets, web site, social media, etc.)
– an analysis of crisis communications (plan or case study) if appropriate
– recommendations for improvement (including costings) and/or Communications Plan