Chapter 3 Assignment
[Your Name Here]
1. Obtain one of the data sets available at the UCI Machine Learning Repository and apply as many of the different visualization techniques described in the chapter as possible. The bibliographic notes and book Web site provide pointers to visualization software.
2. Identify at least two advantages and two disadvantages of using color to visually represent information.
3. What are the arrangement issues that arise with respect to three-dimensional plots?Computer Science homework help
4. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using sampling to reduce the number of data objects that need to be displayed. Would simple random sampling (without replacement) be a good approach to sampling? Why or why not?
5. Describe how you would create visualizations to display information that de-scribes the following types of systems.
a) Computer networks. Be sure to include both the static aspects of the network, such as connectivity, and the dynamic aspects, such as traﬃc.
b) The distribution of speciﬁc plant and animal species around the world fora speciﬁc moment in time.
c) The use of computer resources, such as processor time, main memory, and disk, for a set of benchmark database programs.
d) The change in occupation of workers in a particular country over the last thirty years. Assume that you have yearly information about each person that also includes gender and level of education.
Be sure to address the following issues:
· Representation. How will you map objects, attributes, and relation-ships to visual elements?
· Arrangement. Are there any special considerations that need to be taken into account with respect to how visual elements are displayed? Speciﬁc examples might be the choice of viewpoint, the use of …Computer Science homework help