We will look at several of the options within the juvenile corrections system, which are usually divided into a treatment based or punitive corrections-based model. We will attempt to determine the better form of rehabilitation: treatment corrections-based models or more punitive. The textbook refers to several different options available to sentence a juvenile, such as:
- Nonresidential Community Treatment
- Residential Community Treatment
- Balanced Probation
- Restorative Justice
- Electronic Monitoring (GPS)
- Intensive Supervision (JISP)
After reviewing each option, choose one that you believe to be the best option of the rehabilitation of a juvenile offender. Research your option and answer the following questions:
- Give a brief description of your choice.
- Is your selected option treatment based or punitive corrections-based?
- Why did you choose this option?
- What are the pros and cons of this approach?
- Can you think of a situation where this is not the best option?
- Research other states and compare it to your states use of these types of corrections. Are they the same or different? Do they have other programs not offered in your state?