In Unit 5, you learned about social psychology and how our lives and cultures revolve around how we think about, influence, and relate to one another. Apply what you have learned to the provided scenario.
David’s history teacher asked him why so many German people complied with Hitler’s orders to systematically slaughter millions of innocent Jews. David suggested that the atrocities were committed because the Germans had become unusually cruel, sadistic people with abnormal and twisted personalities.
In an essay of two-to-four pages (600–1200 words), use your knowledge of the fundamental attribution error and Milgram’s research on obedience to highlight the weaknesses of David’s explanation. Your paper should discuss each of the following concepts and apply them to David’s explanation:
1. Fundamental attribution error (15 points possible)
2. Milgram’s research (15 points possible)
3. Altruism (20 points possible)
4. Prejudice (20 points possible)
5. Scapegoating (20 points possible)
6. Mechanics (free from spelling, punctuation, and grammar errors; correct length and spacing used). (10 points possible)